Man Vs. Mole


For several months I have been trying to track down and destroy a mole that has been destroying my back yard. It never worried me too bad until I recently saw that the little bastard has been building an interstate system through my garden. At first I wanted to nuke the thing with poison.....but wait, I can't do that. The poison could taint the food and would completely destroy my goal of keeping an organic garden.
So I went to the web (again) for answers. The options were numerous.

Kitty litter - I am supposed to sprinkle it on the perimeter of the garden and the smell makes the mole think a predator is in the area.

Pinwheels - Stick them in the ground in various locations and the vibration keeps the mole away. I know AJ would have loved this option.

Animal or human hair - Bury these in the ground halfway in the ground throughout the area. The smell of a potential predator is supposed to keep them away. To be honest it seemed a little creepy to me. The idea of hair sticking up in various places in the garden just seemed wrong on so many levels.

Coffee Grounds - Moles hate the smell of coffee for some reason. It also works as a great fertilizer.



So after weighing all my options I decided to try the coffee suggestion. I sprinkled it around the outside of the garden. I was seriously skeptical of the whole thing but I figured it was worth a try. I put down the Maxwell House several days ago and to my surprise, NO NEW MOLE ACTIVITY!!!!! I guess it worked.....so far.

0 comments:

Post a Comment